The English for Speakers of Other Languages/High Intensity Language Training (ESOL/HILT) program of Arlington Public Schools serves students from diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds.
ESOL/HILT PROGRAM MISSION:
To honor and build upon the diverse cultural and language backgrounds of English language learners and to ensure that they achieve their fullest linguistic, academic, cognitive and social potential.ESOL/HILT PROGRAM VISION:
All English Language Learners achieve their fullest potential while building upon their diverse language and cultural backgrounds. The ESOL/HILT office collaborates with APS staff to guide, support and monitor instruction that develops academic language and content knowledge to accelerate student progress. The ESOL/HILT Office also collaborates with APS staff to build effective parental and community involvement that promotes student achievement.
THE ESOL/HILT PROGRAM:
Elementary (K-5) ESOL/HILT page
- Criteria for entry, progress, and exit based on student’s level of English proficiency, grades K-12
- Program options and parental choice
- ESOL/HILT instruction:
- Ensures that English language learners (ELL) attain English proficiency in order to develop high levels of academic achievement
- Assists ELL in meeting APS academic content standards that all students are expected to achieve: APS curriculum, Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL); as well as World-Class Instructional Design and Assessment (WIDA) English Language Proficiency Standards (K - 12) in Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing
- Is research-based using a variety of methods and best practices that integrate language and content
- ESOL/HILT Assessment includes APS ,state SOL and WIDA requirements
- ESOL/HILT teachers are state certified and ESL endorsed