Patrick Henry Elementary School's
The mission of the counseling department at Patrick Henry Elementary School is to provide a comprehensive and multicultural program to enhance the personal/social, academic, and career development of all students.
The goal is to assist students in acquiring the attitudes, knowledge, and skills that contribute to effective learning in school and the ability to adapt to an ever changing society. The ultimate objective is to encourage students to do their personal best today and every day.
The counseling department supports the development of self-confidence and awareness, conflict resolution skills, responsible citizenship, student advocacy, self-expression and control; thereby enabling students to become positive members of the community.
Patrick Henry Elementary School believes the school counseling program is an integral part of successfully supporting the education and development of the whole child. Henry's comprehensive counseling program is based on the belief that academic, career, and personal/social development can be enhanced for all students through participation in counseling activities. The counselor collaborates with staff to implement program services and achieve the counseling department's mission. Counseling initiatives are developmentally appropriate and support students through suitable sequences of learning.
Patrick Henry's School Counseling Program will provide:
- A comprehensive school counseling program that supports diverse needs and advocates for the best interest of every student
- A data-driven, results-oriented and collaborative approach to service/program delivery
- Programs from the counseling department that are evaluated for program effectiveness through various assessments (completed by students, staff, and parents)
- A full-time counselor devoted to efficient and productive program implementation: classroom guidance, small group work, individual counseling support, consultation, and program coordination
- Specific focus on preventing, identifying, and intervening early for at risk students
All school counselors will:
- Abide by the ethical responsibilities of the Commonwealth of Virginia, Arlington Public Schools, and the American School Counselor Association
- Conduct themselves in a professional manner and participate in professional development to maintain a high quality counseling program
New Academic Planning Information from APS