Next PTA Meeting: THURSDAY, MAY 16th at 7 PM in the Jefferson Garden - Pot Luck Dinner
La Próxima Reunión: 16 de mayo, jueves son las 19.00 en el jardin de Jefferson y cena
FEATURED STAFF MEMBER: Timothy Cotman, Minority Achievement Coordinator
JEFFERSON'S BIKE AND WALK TO SCHOOL DAY
- view here
JEFFERSON FAMILY SUPPORT NETWORK / Red de Apoyo de las Familias
The Jefferson PTA has a Family Support Network, to assist families who are going through a rough patch and need some community support. More information to come.....If your family needs support, please contact your child's counselor, or Kathleen McSweeney at email@example.com
La PTA quiere apoyar las familias que necesitan el apoyo de nuestra comunidad, por ejemplo, tomando la cena a la familia. No mas informacion ahora....Si la familia suya necesita apoyo, por favor contacte con la consejera de su hijo/a o Kathleen McSweeney a firstname.lastname@example.org (por telefono, 703-243-0323).
JEFFERSON'S FAMILY ENGAGEMENT REPORT is now available. Please read it, and direct any questions or comments to the Family Engagement Team Chairman, Tim Cotman.
INFORMATION FOR PARENTS ABOUT THE IB MIDDLE YEARS PROGRAMME IS AVAILABLE HERE. Información sobre la programma de Bachillerato Internacional (IB) de los Años Intermedios esta aqui
THE PTA THANKS...the following people for your help with Teacher Appreciation Week and International Night!
- Thank you to Jean Miller and Trish Montgomery, who planned and staffed all the wonderful treats for teachers and staff last week, culminating in a terrific spread for lunch last Friday.
- A huge thank you to the teachers and staff who planned International Night, worked with students on the entertainment, and served dinner all night!
- Thank you to every TA Teacher, who selected basket themes with their students and collected the donations.
- A special thanks to Melissa Hinkson and Jennifer Klapper, who worked to get the donations for the awesome raffle baskets, and led the team in putting them together.
- Also thanks to all those parents who helped with everything from an IB station, to arranging the baskets to selling raffle tickets to schlepping baskets:
Trish Montgomery, Carmen Amezquita, Lavinia Slater, Kathleen Murray, Jackie Ware, Silvia Boada-Salom, Melissa Hinkson, Susan DuBois, Nisha Neupane, Jeanne Williams, Jennifer Klapper, Cristina Guadalupe, Sarah Beaton, Mary Kane, Kate Haselby, Susan Bell and Liz Delmar.
- Many thanks also to our Jefferson administrative staff: Ms. Boggan, Ms. Holland, Ms. Smith, Ms. Carter, Mr. Siegel, Ms. Yurrita, Mr. Cotman and Mr. Holland. Also, Mr. Appanah, Ms. Chea and all of our custodial staff who set up and cleaned up. Thank you to Ms. Stephanie Smith, for arranging for the donation of a complete basket. Also, to Ms. Mohammed for adding the IB stations and passport activity to our international night. And to Ms. Gavin, Ms. Wall, Ms. Gray and Ms. Bell who helped in numerous ways throughout the week.
Thank you also to the students who danced, sang and entertained. Thank you to the students who assisted with the set-up and the clean-up in the gym. It was a terrific evening, and every year it gets better! We look forward to seeing you all at next year' International Night.
IMPORTANT DATES / FECHAS IMPORTANTES
- MAY 5 - STACKER Movie with Barrett Elementary at the Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse. 4:30-6:30 PM
At the November 1st School Board meeting, members will receive an update on the formation of a Multi-Modal Transportation Committee. Click here
to see the letter submitted on behalf of the Jefferson PTA concerning the charge, goals and make-up of this committee.
CAPACITY / BOUNDARY DISCUSSIONS
Capacidad de la escuela/Discusiones de Fronteras de las escuela
- APS Capacity Planning - view the latest updates here.
THE JEFFERSON PTA NEEDS YOU! Please consider volunteering for one of our open PTA leadership positions for the 2012-2013 school year. Contact Kathleen McSweeney (email@example.com) if you have any questions, or would like to volunteer. ¡Jefferson PTA le necesita!
Por favor ofrézcase para uno de los siguientes trabajos, y contacto con Kathleen McSweeney (703-243-0323) si usted tiene alguna pregunta o quiere ser voluntario.
- NEW! Boundary Discussion Rep - we would like a volunteer or two to represent Jefferson at the upcoming boundary meetings. Representante para las discusiones de fronteras de las escuelas.
- International Night Basket Raffle Co-Chair - lead a team to obtain donations from local businesses, collect the items and put together into baskets that will be raffled off during our community's International Night CelebrationApril/early May each year. Rifa de Cesta de Noche Internacional.
- ACI Representative - Middle Schools may send two representatives to vote at Advisory Council on Instruction (ACI) meetings. We have one representative for next year, Ted Black, but need one more. This is a fantastic way to learn about and influence APS' educational priorities and policies. Representante del Asesor del Condado de Instrucción.
All families and teachers are asked to please join the PTA. You may download a membership form in and turn it into the Jefferson Office, to the attention of Jeanne Williams, VP of Membership.
Solicitud de Membresia y Voluntariado del PTA en Español. Envíe la forma completada a la oficina de Jefferson. PTA Email Listservs -- Subscribe Here!
The Jefferson PTA sponsors two e-mail lists ("listservs"). The first, "TJMS", is the main way the PTA will communicate and we urge everyone to sign up ASAP. This email will be used to provide information on activities and issues and will be used for announcements from Jefferson staff or the PTA. To join this group, send a blank e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or click here:
The second e-mail list, "Jefferson Chat", is a lively forum for informal, interactive communications among PTA members and other friends of Jefferson. Topics or issues that affect some or all of the Jefferson families are appropriate. Compliments or concerns, questions or comments about school activities or things happening in our neighborhoods... all are appropriate. To join Jefferson Chat, send a blank email to email@example.com or click here:
Subscribe to Jefferson Chat (informal) listserv
Other ways to help your PTA help Jefferson Middle School
Contribute when you buy groceries: Register and part of what you spend at Safeway, Harris Teeter, or Giant will benefit Jefferson.
- Harris Teeter: Our number is 3905. Register at www.harristeeter.com (click "Together in Education"), or you can do it at the register.
- Giant: Our number is 02007. Register online at www.giantfood.com/aplus, or you can do it at the store.
- Safeway: Our number is 6595513. Register through eScrip.com.
Contribute by clipping and sending in Box Tops: This is another "free" way to help out the PTA and programs to support our kids. Just clip off the Box Tops on General Mills products. Send the Box Tops in with your student and hand them into the PTA mailbox in the Main Office. There is a listing of those products that carry Box Tops seals, along with coupons and recipes, on the following site http://www.boxtops4education.com/