- Must be born outside the U.S. or have two parents born outside the U.S.
- Must be a graduating senior at a high school in D.C., Maryland, or Virginia.
- Must enroll full-time at an accredited public college or university in the 2014-2015 academic year.
- Electronic application (including two essays)
- Two letters of recommendation (must be submitted electronically; instructions are in the application)
- Official high school transcript and SAT or ACT score reports (if selected as a finalist)
Selection Criteria and Process
Scholarship recipients will be selected based on qualities traditionally valued and demonstrated by the immigrant community: hard work, resourcefulness, perseverance in the face of adversity, academic achievement, leadership, and commitment to one’s community. A committee drawn from the local community will review applications and select a group of finalists for interviews.
|April 1 ||Application materials due|
|May 5 ||Finalists notified|
|May 10, 18 ||Interviews|
|May 19 ||Scholarship recipients notified|
The Esperanza Education Fund will award scholarships ranging from $5,000 to $20,000, depending on financial need. Scholarships will be disbursed directly to the recipient's educational institution. Failure to comply with the following conditions may result in the suspension or revocation of scholarship awards.
- Enroll full-time at an accredited public college or university.
- Remain in good standing and maintain a 2.5 grade point average.
- Submit yearly progress reports to the Esperanza Education Fund.
- Participate in mentoring provided by the Esperanza Education Fund.
Visit http://www.esperanzafund.org/category/scholarships/ for more information
Download an information sheet about the scholarship here.
2014 B'NAI B'RITH SPORTS SCHOLARSHIP
Deadline April 12,2014
ELIGIBILITY Any senior year student attending high school in the counties of Fairfax, Arlington,
Prince William, Stafford and Loudoun, and in the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax and Falls Church may
submit an application. Applications must be received by April 12, 2014.
SCHOLARSHIPS of $1,000 will be awarded to graduating male or female athletes entering college
or university in the Fall 2014 term. Applications will be reviewed by the Northern Virginia B'nai B'rith
Sports Scholarship Committee. Scholarship recipients will be notified by April 18, 2014.
APPLICATIONS will be evaluated, and awards will be determined, based on the following:
1. Athletic ability – The applicant must play on a high school varsity team in a competitive
high school sport recognized by the respective school district.
2. Scholarship – Shown by grade point average and SAT scores.
3. Applicant's community service.
4. Applicant must be of the Jewish faith.
5. Applicant is entering a college or university in the Fall 2014 term.
6. The scholarship award check will be written on a recipient's behalf to the college or
university that the recipient will be entering.
You can download the application here.
Federal Water Quality Association 2014 Environmental Scholarships
Deadline: April 14, 2014
Who is eligible to apply?
Graduating seniors from high schools in the metropolitan Washington, D.C. area and surrounding counties, planning to pursue environmental careers. (You must be accepted prior to receiving the award, into a 4-year bachelor’s
program in an acceptable field of study by an institution of higher learning. Acceptable areas of study: environmental sciences, environmental engineering, biology, chemistry, civil engineering, chemical engineering, or natural resource planning; other
environmental areas will also be considered).
Please visit the website below for the application website:
Deadline: April 18, 2014
An applicant for The Dream Project Scholarship must meet the following criteria:
- is an actively enrolled senior in good standing or graduate of a private or public High School in the commonwealth of Virginia, OR Virginia students who have successfully completed a GED;
- was born outside of the United States or has a parent born outside of the United States;
- will attend an accredited college or university; and
- has demonstrated hard work, resourcefulness, perseverance in the face of adversity, academic achievement, leadership, and commitment to one's community.
Virginia Sheriff’s Institute Scholarship Application
Deadline April 21, 2014
This scholarship provides an opportunity for young people across Virginia to pursue an educational curriculum in law enforcement or criminal justice. Students who are Arlington residents, are planning to attend or are currently attending a Virginia college or university and majoring in the criminal justice field (not as a lawyer) are eligible to apply for the scholarship. Please download the application here.
The Commonwealth Circle Scholarship
Deadline April 22, 2014
The Commonwealth Circle is offering a minimum $2000 scholarship to worthy seniors who plan to pursue a career in community or public service.
An applicant must be:
-have financial need
-Involved in extracurricular and community service
-planning to pursue an education in community or public service
Students must provide a 300-500 word essay on "Why My Community is Important to Me"
Application must be given to Fatima!
Please download the application here.
The Jefferson Middle School PTA sponsors a $1000 annual scholarship for a graduating high school senior going to college who previously was promoted from Jefferson Middle School. The scholarship was originally established with donations made in memory of Dorothy (Dot) Dunbar.
To apply for the Jefferson Middle School PTA Scholarship, please complete the application and return it postmarked or hand delivered by Friday, April 25.
Applicants must be attending NOVA in the fall.